ISSN 1565 - 5334
The excavated area is located along the southeastern fringes of Old Ramla, close to the old cemetery. Numerous excavations had been conducted in the region (HA-ESI 121; Permit Nos. A-5588, c. 0.3 km to the south; Permit No. A-5633, c. 0.2 km to the east; Permit No. A-5967, c. 0.1 m km to the northeast), exposing architectural and installation remains from the Early Islamic, Mamluk and Early Ottoman periods.
A floor bedding of mortar, composed of lime mixed with ash (L104; 0.4 x 1.2 m, thickness 0.2 m; Fig. 1) and laid right on top of the natural sand, was discovered in the northern part of the square. Fragments of pottery vessels that included bowls (Fig. 2:1–5) and a jug (Fig. 2:6) from the Mamluk period (fourteenth–fifteenth centuries CE) were found in the vicinity of the floor remains.
The floor foundation was severed in the east by a metal barrel (L107), which seems to have been used as a cesspit in the demolished Mandatory building.