A salvage excavation was conducted in November 1999 at Tel Yizh
aqi (A-3133*; map ref. NIG 2121/7325; OIG 1621/2325; HA–ESI
111). The excavation, on behalf of the Antiquities Authority, was directed by A. Oshri and Z. Gal, with the assistance of A. Mokary, V. Essman (surveying and drafting), L. Porat (pottery restoration), H. Tahan (drawing) and D. Syon (numismatics).
The excavation took place near the spring located at the western foot of the tell. One square was opened (Fig. 1), revealing a limestone-slab paved floor (L13) and nearby, the corner of a pool lined with finely dressed ashlar stones (L16). The pool’s corner was rounded and therefore, it was assumed that it was elliptical. The pool was probably part of the system that supplied water to the settlement on the tell; it was fed by the spring. Fragments of pottery vessels, dating to the 2nd century CE, were on the floor and in the pool. They included a cooking pot (Fig. 2:1) and jars (Fig. 2:2, 3), as well as a worn coin from the city of Tyre (Fig. 3), dating to the second half of the 2nd century CE.