In July 2012, an excavation was conducted at 9 Kikar Hadas Street in the Qiryat Alon neighborhood of Petah Tiqwa (Permit No. A-6563; map ref. 191005–26/665910–34), prior to construction. The excavation, on behalf of the Israel Antiquities Authority, was directed by A. Nagorski, with the assistance of E. Bachar and Y. Amrani (administration), A. Peretz (field photography), M. Kahan and R. Mishayev (surveying and drafting), C. Amit (studio photography), Y. Kupershmidt (metallurgical laboratory), C. Hersch (pottery drawing) and A. Berman (numismatics).
In both squares, small and medium-sized fieldstones (L20; thickness 0.15–0.20 m) were discovered in the topsoil. Fragments of pottery vessels from the Ottoman period, as well as olive pits and animal bones were found between the stones. This layer of stones sealed a collapse of large stones in Sq A (Fig. 3) and remains of a wall in Sq B (W24). The wall, which was built without a foundation, was constructed of one row of roughly hewn stones preserved to a height of one course. This wall continued west beyond the limits of the excavation. The eastern continuation of the wall was damaged as a result of modern development work. Wall 24 was abutted from the north by a habitation level of tamped hamra (L23). Soil fills above the habitation level and below it contained pottery sherds, including jars (Fig. 4:1), jugs (Fig. 4:2) and a tobacco pipe (Fig. 4:3) from the Ottoman period. Below W24 and Level 23 were remains of a wall (W25) which was also built of a single row of roughly hewn stones; it extended south and north, outside the boundaries of the excavation. Several of the wall’s stones had been shifted out of position by the roots of a large tree. A meticulously dressed stone was found at the northern end of the wall. A column (0.40 × 0.46 m, height 0.67 m) built of two rectangular stones placed one on top of the other was discovered 1 m south of this stone. It seems that the dressed stone and the column were all that was preserved of a double opening between two rooms. Collapsed stones similar to the stones of W25 were discovered in the northern corner of Sq B, and thus it seems that this wall continued northward. Wall 25 was abutted from the east and west by soil fills (L26, L27) that yielded fragments of pottery vessels consisting mainly of kraters (Fig. 5:1, 2) and cooking pots (Fig. 5:3) dating to the Abbasid period, a coin of Al-Nasir Nasir ad-Din Hasan (1361 CE, Damascus mint; IAA 138404) and animal bones.
Architectural remains from two periods were uncovered in the excavation. The remains from the Ottoman period included W24 and the habitation level adjoining it. The remains from the Abbasid period included W25, with a double opening in it, which was probably part of a massive structure.
Elisha Y. 2011. Petah
Tiqwa, Kefar Avraham. HA-ESI 123
Kaplan J. 1954. Before Petah Tiqwa. Katif: Yalqut Le-Divere Sifrut 1:212–215 (Hebrew).