During January 2004, an excavation was conducted in Kafr Misr (Permit No. A-4091*; map ref. NIG 2390–400/7270–80; OIG 1890–900/2270–80), prior to construction. The excavation, on behalf of the Israel Antiquities Authority, was directed by A. Mokary, with the assistance of laborers provided by the contractor.
The excavation area was located in the nucleus of the ancient village, 70 m northeast of the mosque. A square was opened and a layer of homogenous fill was excavated down to the level of basalt bedrock. Remains of a wall (length c. 4.3 m, width 0.6 m; Fig. 1) that was built of limestone and basalt were exposed. The wall was overlain with soil fill (thickness 0.6 m) that contained fragments of pottery vessels, some of which dated to the Early Islamic period.