During September 2005 a probe trench was excavated on a steep slope of Tel Zeton in Bnē Berak (Tell Abu Zeitun; Permit No. A-4612*; map ref. NIG 18471–90/66733–41; OIG 13471–90/16733–41), following damage to antiquities. The excavation, carried out on behalf of the Antiquities Authority and financed by the Moshe Rifer Company, was directed by D. Golan, with the assistance of S. Ya‘aqov-Jam (administration), V. Essman (surveying), T. Sagiv (photography), M. Shuiskaya (pottery drawing), E. Yannai, M. Ajami and D. Barkan.
Tel Zeton is located on a kurkar hill, c. 800 m south of the Yarqon River, in the middle of the Pardes Kaz neighborhood of Bnē Berak. The tell rises to a height of c. 9 m above its surroundings and covers an area of 2–3 dunams. J. Kaplan (Yedi‘ot 1958:98) excavated along the top of the tell in 1957 and exposed two strata that dated to the Persian period. The excavations were suspended when reaching the level of Iron II remains.
In the current excavation, a probe trench (width 2.5 m, depth 1.7 m) was dug on the southern slope of the tell and three strata, dating to Middle Bronze IIA and IIB, were discerned.
The upper stratum contained gray soil mixed with potsherds and small stones, together with modern refuse. The lower stratum contained red-fired tabun material (thickness 10–18 cm) that sealed a layer of potsherds, which included a cooking pot (Fig. 1:1) and jars (Fig. 1:2, 4), dating to Middle Bronze IIA, as well as flint sickle blades. The jug (Fig. 1:3) was dated to Middle Bronze IIB.
Remains of a tabun were also documented in the excavation.
The settlement at Tel Zeton joins a series of Middle Bronze II settlements that extended along the Yarqon River, between the two main sites of Tel Gerisa and Tel Afeq.