During December 2003, an agricultural installation was excavated in a quarry in Nahal Samtar (North; Permit No. A-4061*; map ref. NIG 2055–6/7097–8; OIG 1555–6/2097–8), which was discovered in the wake of development work. The excavation, on behalf of the Antiquities Authority, was directed by R. Steinmetz.
On the northern ridge of a quarry, a Byzantine winepress hewn in limestone of the Cenomanian epoch was exposed. The installation consisted of a square treading floor (L100; 2.7 × 2.9 m, depth 0.2 m), which was relatively small for the square collecting vat situated to its north (L101; 1.7 × 1.8 m, depth 2.0 m). A step that aided in the descent inside was in the northeastern corner of the vat, 0.6 m above the floor. The collecting vat was paved with coarse tesserae, which were gently inclined toward a paved settling pit (L102; diam. 0.55 m, depth 0.4 m) that was adjacent to the vat’s southern wall. It seems that fermentation was done on site, based on the size of the collecting vat, which was probably covered with a wooden platform that was secured in place by stones. The size of the winepress indicates the industrial scale of activity at the site.