During May 2003 a salvage excavation was conducted in the Newe Noy neighborhood of Be’er Sheva‘ (Permit No. A-3990*; map ref. NIG 1786–90/5711–20; OIG 1286–90/0711–20), prior to the construction of a new residential qurater. The excavation, on behalf of the Antiquities Authority and financed by the ‘Arim Company of the Ministry of Construction and Housing, was directed by V. Nikolsky-Carmel, assisted by A. Hajian (surveying and drafting).
Remains of walls were exposed in a single square. Wall 10, discovered c. 0.8 m below surface and built of river pebbles, was preserved five courses high. Wall 11, parallel to W10, consisted of massive flint and kurkar stones. Any possible connection between the two walls is negated on account of the differences in elevation and in construction techniques, as well as the small distance between them. The meager ceramic finds were dated to the Late Byzantine period.