Prior to development west of Moshav Nehusha, a 3 sq km area was surveyed, extending between Nahal Nahusha in the northwest, Nahal Guvrin in the south and Moshav Nehusha in the east (License No. G-122/1999*; map ref. NIG 19450–70/61400–500; OIG 14450–70/11400–500). The topography of the surveyed area is characteristic of the inner Shephelah––a series of hills covered with dense natural forest. Thirty nine locations were surveyed, including ten isolated buildings and a variety of agricultural installations, among them ten rock-hewn winepresses, two charcoal kilns, watchman’s huts and cairns.
Three large ruins were also surveyed: Horbat Reshem (map ref. NIG 19429/61457; OIG 14429/11457) and the ancient site of Nehusha (map ref. NIG 19480/61458; OIG 14480/11458) where building remains, water cisterns, rock-cuttings and cairns were surveyed and potsherds dating to the Roman and Byzantine periods were collected. The third ruin (map ref. NIG 1948/6149; OIG 1448/1149) consisted of a well-preserved, large central building, surrounded by other buildings; fragments of pottery vessels from the Roman and Byzantine periods were collected.