In September 2015, a salvage excavation was conducted at 30 Yo’av Street in Ramat Gan (Permit No. A-7518; map ref. 18207–12/66639–44; Fig. 1), prior to construction. The excavation, undertaken on behalf of the Israel Antiquities Authority and financed by the S.B.N. Company, Ltd., was directed by D. Golan, with the assistance of E. Bachar and Y. Amrani (administration), D. Abu Salah (area supervision), M. Kahan (surveying and drafting), A. Peretz and Y. Marmelstein (field photography) and D. Barkan, M. Ajami and P. Gendelman (consultation).
The excavation was carried out along the southern slope of Tel Gerisa (c. 40 dunams). An MB IIB pottery kiln built of bricks was set into clay soil above a layer of sandy kurkar that rose at an angle from south to north. Several non-undiagnostic pottery shreds were found in the kurkar layer (L103). The kiln was elliptical (excavated length 2.3 m, overall length 2.5–2.6 m, width c. 1.8 m; Figs. 2–4) and consisted of two parts: a lower firebox (L110) and an upper firing chamber (L104). All that survived of the firebox were its supporting pillars (L108, L109; c. 0.35 × 0.55 m, height c. 0.6 m), and only the bottom part of the northern wall (thickness 0.13–0.30 m, height 0.3 m) of the firing chamber was preserved. Collapsed bricks from the firing chamber and remains of jars were found in the firebox. A bowl (Fig. 5:1) and jars (Fig. 5:2–5) dating from the MB IIB were found in the kiln. A krater (Fig. 5:6) and a juglet (Fig. 5:7) from the MB II and a carinated bowl (Fig. 5:8) and jars (Fig. 5:9, 10) from the LB II were discovered in the accumulation above the kiln.
Similar kilns were exposed in the area in the past: a cavity dating from the beginning of the MB IIA was noted on the tell was probably a kiln, but had been filled-in so as to facilitate construction above it (Geva 1982:10, Pl. 11:1, 2); similar kilns were excavated near Tell Qasile (Kletter 2006:93–98) and on Ben Nun Street near Giv‘at Bet Ha-Mitbahayim (Sari 2000); and fourteen additional kilns of this type, dated to the MB II, were documented in the Tel Aviv region (Kletter and Gorzalczany 2001:102). All these indicate that this type of kiln was characteristic of the central coastal plain during this period. Another kiln of this type was discovered at Mazliah (Ramla South; A Gorzalczany, pers. comm.).
The exposure of the kiln on the southern slopes of the tell suggests that the settlement was concentrated on the tell itself, while the outskirts of the were utilized for industry. An Iron Age winepress was found excavated to the west (Permit No. A-7547) indicates that the area continued to be used for industry during the later period. The kiln unearthed in the excavation augments the information gleaned from the other MB II kilns excavated in the vicinity, contributing to our understanding of industry and technology during this period.
Aharoni Y. 1962. The Land of Israel in Biblical Times: A Geographical History.
Cochavi-Rainey Z. 2005. Le-Melekh Adoni: El-Amarna Letters. Jerusalem (Hebrew).
Geva S. 1982. Tell Jerisha: The Sukenik Excavations of the Middle Bronze Age Fortifications (Qedem 15). Jerusalem.
Herzog Z. 1993. Gerisa, Tel. In E. Stern, ed. NEAEHL 2. Pp. 480–484 (Hebrew).
Jakoel E. and Barkan D. 2010. Tel Aviv, Tel Gerisa. HA-ESI 122
Kletter R. 2006. A Middle Bronze Age II Site West of Tell Qasile. ‘Atiqot 53:65–128.
Kletter R. and Gorzalczany A. 2001. A Middle Bronze Age II Type of Pottery Kiln from the Coastal Plain of Israel. Levant 33:95–104.
Mazar B. 1975. Cities and Districts in Eretz-Israel. Jerusalem (Hebrew).
Ory J. 1926. A Bronze-Age Necropolis at Ramat Gan, Near Tell el Jerisheh (Jaffa District). Palestine Museum, Jerusalem Bulletin 2:7–9.
Ory J. 1944. A Late Bronze Age Tomb at Tell Jerishe. QDAP 10:55–57.
Sari K. 2000. Tel Aviv, Giv‘at Bet Ha-Mitbahayim. HA-ESI 111:101*.