Hadashot Arkheologiyot

Excavations and Surveys in Israel
Israel Antiquities Authority logo
ISSN 1565 - 5334


Volume 122 Year 2010

Na‘ura

Moshe Hartal
07/09/2010
Final Report
During January–February 2009, a trial excavation was conducted at Na‘ura (Permit No. A-5587; map ref. 237190/724536), prior to enlarging the home of R. Hummus. The excavation, on behalf of the Israel Antiquities Authority, was directed by M. Hartal, with the assistance of Z. Horowitz.
The area was not probe-trenched as required before building foundations were poured at the site. An examination of the sections in the foundation trenches revealed potsherds that dated to the Early Islamic period and a section of a floor (?). As a result, one and a half squares were excavated between the foundations with the aid of a backhoe. Two layers of fill were discerned in the sections. The top layer, noted to a depth of 1 m below surface, was devoid of any finds. The lower fill layer consisted of debris (thickness in excess of 1 m) that contained numerous building stones, soil from a tell, nylon and old shoes, which indicate that the fill was deposited above bedrock in most of the area in modern times. Soil fill that contained a few potsherds from the ninth–tenth centuries CE was discovered in several places. The fill layers collapsed into the excavation square and constituted a safety hazard; therefore, no manual excavation was conducted in this area. Consequently, an area (3×5 m) was excavated with the aid of a backhoe outside the boundaries of the building. The two layers of fill, devoid of potsherds, were discovered here as well; the upper layer was top soil and the bottom layer was deposited on bedrock and consisted of soil from a tell and building stones.
Print Without PhotosPrint With Photosלמאמר בעברית