During June 2007, a survey preceding development was conducted along Highway 65, from Golani to ‘Eilabun Junctions (Permit No. A-5061; map ref. NIG 2381–6/7423–70; OIG 1881–6/2423–70), prior to widening the road. The survey, undertaken on behalf of the Israel Antiquities Authority and underwritten by the Department of Public Works, was directed by A. Mokary, with the assistance of A. Shapiro (GPS).
Nineteen sites with antiquities were discovered in the survey (Fig. 1), including stone clearance heaps, a Roman-period road, pits, rock-cuttings, a rock-hewn winepress and caves.
Sites 1, 8, 19. Potsherds dating to the Roman period were collected.
Site 2. A stone clearance heap.
Site 3. A Roman-period road that crosses Highway 65 from west to east.
Sites 4, 5, 16. Pits hewn in limestone bedrock.
Site 6. A terrace wall (length c. 4 m).
Sites 7, 9, 10, 11, 15. Rock-cuttings.
Site 12. A cave hewn in limestone bedrock.
Site 13. A square, rock-hewn winepress.
Sites 14, 17, 18. Cave openings. In front of one cave (14) was a weight that belonged to an olive press (Fig. 2), which was probably located within the cave.