During July 2006 a survey prior to development was conducted at Ketef Be’er Sheva‘, the Negev Brigade Junction and Ketef Betarim (Permit No. A-4866; map ref. NIG 1838–62/5740–80; OIG 1338–62/0740–80). The survey, undertaken on behalf of the Israel Antiquities Authority and financed by the Jewish National Fund, was directed by E. Aladjem and S. Gendler, with the assistance of S. Gal (GPS).
Three areas, northeast of Ketef Be’er Sheva‘, southeast of the Negev Brigade junction and the Ketef Betarim hills, were surveyed.
Northeast of Ketef Be’er Sheva‘
Site 301: A wall (0.8 × 4.0 m) built of undressed chalk fieldstones.
Site 302: Ancient cistern whose opening was renovated with cement and it is still being used. To its west are the remains of a structure (15 × 15 m) built of chalk fieldstones. An installation of chalk slabs was discerned in the building, embedded in the ground.
Southeast of the Negev Brigade Junction
Site 303: A renovated cistern that is still being us
Site 311: A terrace built on a slope along a contour line (0.6 × 0.8 × 30.0 m).
The Ketef Betarim Hills
Site 304: A rock-hewn cistern (diam. of opening 0.4 m).
Site 305: A building (4 × 4 m, thickness of walls 0.4–0.5 m) on the southern bank of the wadi, in whose vicinity potsherds dating to the Late Byzantine period were scattered.
Site 306: A scatter of flint flakes (diam. 20 m) from the Middle Paleolithic period.
Site 307: A bedrock-hewn round opening (diam. 0.5 m) that leads to a void—a cistern or a cave.
Site 308: A cistern whose opening was renovated with cement and is still being used.
Site 309: A renovated cistern that is still being used today and a trough is located alongside it.
Site 310: A scatter of flint flakes (diam. 30–40 m) from the Middle Paleolithic period.