Hadashot Arkheologiyot

Excavations and Surveys in Israel
Israel Antiquities Authority logo
ISSN 1565 - 5334


Volume 121 Year 2009

Horbat Castra

Marwan Masarwa
09/03/2009
Final Report
During September 2006, a salvage excavation was conducted along the northern fringes of Horbat Castra (Permit No. A-4896; map ref. NIG 197337–41/744289–93; OIG 147337–41/244289–93; HA-ESI 120; ‘Atiqot 29:77*–92* [Hebrew]), in the wake of discovering building remains when a communications line was installed. The excavation, undertaken on behalf of the Israel Antiquities Authority and underwritten by the Ashtrom-Dragados Company, was directed by M. Masarwa, with the assistance of S. Ya‘aqov-Jam (administration), A. Hajian (surveying and drafting), T. Sagiv (field photography), P. Spivak (preliminary inspections) and P. Gendelman (ceramic consultation).
An excavation square was opened, revealing a wall (W100; length c. 2.5 m; Fig. 1) that was oriented north–south. The wall, set atop a foundation of small stones that were well-bonded with brown soil, was built of a single course of kurkar stones, some of which were dressed (c. 0.2 × 0.3 × 0.4 m). The northern end of the wall was disturbed, probably due to modern construction activity. A surface paved with different size stones (L501; width c. 1 m), whose western part was destroyed, was east of and alongside W100; it was probably the floor that abutted W100. The finds included worn potsherds that dated to the Byzantine and Early Islamic periods (fifth–seventh centuries CE).
Print Without PhotosPrint With Photosלמאמר בעברית