During June 2006, a survey was conducted in Nahal Darga in Jerusalem (Permit No. A-4817; map ref. NIG 2196–210/6262–70; OIG 1696–710/1262–70), prior to paving a street. The survey was conducted by Y. Dagan (photography) and L. Barda (GPS), on behalf of the Israel Antiquities Authority.
The survey was carried out along the route of a road that will link the Jerusalem–Har Gillo road to the Har Homa quarter (Fig. 1). The surveyed area descends gently to the east and farming terraces, some of which are planted with fruit trees, are built on the slope. The Mar Elias monastery is located north of the area. Remains of the Lower Aqueduct that conveyed water to Jerusalem were documented in several places of the surveyed area (5; Fig. 2). A stone column fragment in the eastern part of the surveyed area was possibly part of a milestone (1; length 1.6 m, diam. 0.7 m; Fig. 3). Southwest of the stone column, a shallow elliptical rock-cutting was noted; a cupmark in its center was probably an installation for extracting oil from olives (2; Fig. 4); shallow channels and cupmarks were hewn around this installation. A rock-hewn cistern (3) in the middle of the surveyed area had a square opening built of stones; numerous potsherds that dated to Iron II and the Roman and Byzantine periods were scattered in the vicinity of the cistern, next to which was an elliptical, rock-hewn cave (4) in whose entrance a modern wall was built. A rectangular rock cutting in the eastern part of the surveyed area was probably a burial cave (6) and nearby, a broken stone trough (7; 0.5 × 0.6 m) was noted. Documented as well were field walls (8–11) used for various purposes; Wall 11 was possibly connected to the Lower Aqueduct to Jerusalem.