During October 2003 a development survey was conducted at Giv‘at Broshim in Makabim (Permit No. A-3999*; map ref. NIG 2026-30/6433-8; OIG 1526–30/1433–8), prior to expanding the settlement. The survey, on behalf of the Antiquities Authority, was directed by M. Masarwa and L. Barda.
The survey was carried out on a hill, west of the Makabim settlement and south of the road that leads to it. A partially ruinous structure at the top of the hill is possibly a farm house, dating to the Ottoman period. The building has two vaulted rooms and a courtyard surrounded by massive walls built of two rows of medium-sized fieldstones and a core of small stones. Stone fences and walls that separated agricultural plots, which probably belonged to the building, were found. Rock-hewn installations in bedrock outcrops on the slopes of the hill included simple winepresses that consisted of a rock-cut treading floor and a single collecting vat, a bodeda for producing olive oil, as well as stone heaps, cupmarks and rock-hewn basins. Near the installations and the winepresses were potsherds from the Roman and Byzantine periods, dating the time of the agricultural activity in the region.