During the construction of the Gabriel Sherover Promenade in Ya‘ar Ha-Shalom (peace forest) in 1989, a section of the
Jerusalem lower aqueduct was exposed and cleaned (Permit No. A-1716*; map ref. NIG 2215/6295; OIG 1715/1295). The excavation, on behalf of the Antiquities Authority, was directed by H. Stark, assisted by A. Hajian (surveying and drafting).
A 30 m long section, of the 82 m long exposed aqueduct, was cleaned and recorded. The aqueduct, reaching
Jerusalem from the south, was built on the 740 m asl contour. It was constructed on a north–south alignment and to keep the contour, it made a 45º turn to the west and continued toward the Old City, on a northwest–southeast alignment (Fig. 1). Constructed from flint fieldstones of the Mishash Formation, the aqueduct was largely intact (base width 4.5 m), except for the area of the curve where a small section was damaged. Only the most recent upper channel, with remains of a circular clay pipe held in place by plaster, was exposed. This latest addition (2.8 m wide) to the aqueduct probably dated to the Ottoman period.