During July 2004, a survey prior to development was conducted in Kochav Ya’ir (Permit No. A-4309*; map ref. NIG 1985–2060/6795–810; OIG 1485–5060/1795–810), in an area slated for construction. The survey, undertaken on behalf of the Israel Antiquities Authority and underwritten by the Israel Lands Administration, was directed by O. Shmueli, L. Yihya and A. ‘Azab, with the assistance of S. Gal (GIS applications) and A. Rochman-Halperin (IAA archive).
The area surveyed was delimited in the north by Ha-Perahim Street in Kochav Ya’ir, in the east and south by the settlement’s security road and in the west by the residential neighborhood and playground in Zur Yig’al. A large part of the area is planted with pine groves and its western part is covered with large deposits of earth.
orbat Nashe is preserved in the center of the survey area. It had been damaged in the past by the preparation of security roads, the planting of trees and the dumping of soil. Settlement remains from the Israelite, Persian, Roman and Byzantine periods were found at the site, where a salvage excavation was conducted in 1997, exposing a building from the Roman period, another building from the Byzantine period and a cave from Middle Bronze II (HA-ESI 116
Buildings that stand several courses high (Fig. 1:1–3), cisterns (Fig. 1:4–9) and a winepress (Fig. 1:10) were recorded at the site. Northwest of the site, a stone clearance heap (Fig. 1:11), an ancient road (Fig. 1:12), a cist tomb (Fig. 1:13) and a complex winepress that included a treading floor and a screw base (Fig. 1:14) were documented. West of the site, cave openings, probably of burial caves (Fig. 1:15, 16), a kiln (Fig. 1:17) and two winepresses that consisted of a treading floor and a collecting vat (Fig. 1:18) were noted.