During February 2004, an excavation was conducted in the village of Sandala (Permit No. A-4118*; map ref. NIG 2300–10/7140–50; OIG 1800–10/2140–50), prior to construction. The excavation, on behalf of the Israel Antiquities Authority, was directed by A. Mokary, with the participation of laborers provided by the contractor.
The excavation area was located in the nucleus of the ancient village, near the mosque. A square was opened and a layer of fill (5–10 cm) was excavated down to bedrock. No building remains were found (Fig. 1) and the finds included a few fragments of pottery vessels that dated to the Early Islamic and the Mamluk periods.