A salvage excavation was conducted in April 2000 at Tell et-Turmus, in the fields of Moshav ‘Arugot (A-3228
*; map ref. NIG 1784/6261; OIG 1284/1261), following the discovery of ancient remains during an antiquities inspection, prior to the installation of a water pipe. The excavation, on behalf of Antiquities Authority, was directed by A. Zelin, assisted by V. Essman and R. Graff (surveying and drafting), S. Lavi (pottery restoration) and A. Dodin (drawing).
The excavation area (3
× 8 m; Fig. 1) was located on the western fringes of the tell; it was covered with refuse heaps from the Arab village that existed there until 1948. The remains of a pear-shaped hearth (L100; 0.6 × 1.1 m) were uncovered. Surrounding the hearth were pieces of burnt clay that contained straw; they probably used to line the hearth. Inside the hearth were two pottery vessels (Fig. 2), in situ
, a holemouth jar (Fig. 3:1) that rested on its side and the base of a storage vessel (jar or holemouth jar; Fig. 3:2). The vessels contained several burnt animal bones and organic material. A bone implement embedded with stone blades (Fig. 3:3) was also retrieved from the hearth; it was probably used as a sickle. Judging by the finds, it seems the hearth served for cooking, and should probably be dated to the Chalcolithic period or the Early Bronze Age.