During May 2005, a salvage excavation was conducted along the banks of Nahal Eshtamo‘a in the region of the Yattir Forest (Permit No. A- 4481*; map ref. NIG 1982–7/5844–5; OIG 1482–7/0844–5), prior to the construction of the separation fence. The excavation, undertaken on behalf of the Israel Antiquities Authority and underwritten by the Ministry of Defense, was directed by E. Aladjem, with the assistance of H. Lavi (administration).
Two farming terraces, 500 m apart, were excavated on the northern and southern banks of Nahal Eshtamo‘a.
The northern terrace (length 30 m, width 1 m, height 0.3 m), preserved a single course high, was parallel to the wadi channel. The terrace, excavated for a distance of 6 m, was built of large fieldstones placed on a bed of alluvium.
The southern terrace (length 10 m, width 1.5 m, height 1.2 m), preserved five courses high, was oriented east–west. A large part of the terrace was destroyed when a scenery route in the Yattir Forest, which was adjacent to the southern face of the terrace, was constructed. The terrace, excavated for a distance of 2 m, was built of large fieldstones placed on a bed of alluvium.
The two farming terraces are the remains of ancient agricultural activity. No archaeological artifacts were discovered.