In April 2013, a survey was conducted south of Kibbutz Ruhama (License S-412/2013; map ref. 1715–27/5974–86; Fig. 1), prior to forestation. The survey, undertaken on behalf of the Israel Antiquities Authority and financed by the Jewish National Fund, was directed by G. Seriy and D. Yegorov, with the assistance of S. Gal (GPS).
The survey area (c. 0.8 × 1.3 km) was located c. 2 km south of Kibbutz Ruhama. The southern tributaries of Nahal Buta, which flow into Nahal Dorot, pass through several sections of the survey area. The region is characterized by low, dense vegetation that made it difficult to carry out of the survey.
A scant amount of pottery sherds dating to the Byzantine and Late Ottoman periods were scattered throughout the survey area. In addition, a fragment of a basalt hoe (6 × 6 × 15 cm; Site No. 1; map ref. 172098/59776; Fig. 2), probably dating to the Chalcolithic period, was discovered. The surface of the tool is polished. Its edge was fashioned by means of bifacial knapping and bears signs of use.