During September–November 2000 a development survey was conducted in Modi‘in (Compounds L, N, P; License No. G-113/2000*; map ref. NIG 1976–2003/6435–67; OIG 1476–503/1435–67), prior to being enlarged. The survey, on behalf of the Antiquities Authority, was carried out by M. Haiman, V. Zbenovich and L. Barda.
The area (c. 8 sq km) had previously been surveyed by A. Shavit within the framework of the Gezer Map.
Map ref. NIG 19970/64385; OIG 14970/14385 (Khirbat Umm el-‘Umdan): The antiquities surveyed included the remains of buildings, architectural elements, such as lintels and doorjambs, elements of an oil press, including a large basin, crushing stones and a stone weight with a groove and rectangular hole. Burial caves, each with a square courtyard in front, water cisterns, winepresses, fences and cupmarks were recorded as well. The ceramic finds consisted of pottery fragments from the Roman and Byzantine periods. At the northern part of the ruin a bedrock surface, wherein a circular vat (diam. c. 0.5 m) and a row of small cupmarks (max. diam. 0.12 m) were hewn, was discovered. A concentration of flint tools and flakes from the Pre-Pottery Neolithic A period was observed within a 50 m radius of the bedrock surface. Cairns, field walls, watchmen’s towers that were built of large stones, a winepress, a limekiln and cupmarks were surveyed to the west of the ruin.
Map ref. NIG 20010–25/64400–50; OIG 15010–25/14400–50: On a hill to the northeast of Khirbat Umm el-‘Umdan antiquities that included building remains, water cisterns, a burial cave, a watchman’s tower, a winepress and terraces were surveyed. Numerous bedrock surfaces with small hewn cupmarks (diam. c. 10 cm) were documented on the eastern slope of the hill.
Map ref. NIG 19858/64485; OIG 14858/14485: On a hilltop to the northeast of Khirbat Umm el-‘Umdan antiquities that included a building, consisting of several rooms and built of large stones and a water cistern with a capstone atop its opening were surveyed. Watchmen’s towers, terraces and stone clearance heaps were recorded on the slopes of the hill. Pottery fragments from the Byzantine period were discovered throughout the entire area.
Map ref. NIG 19855/64570;OIG 14855/14570 (Horbat Ashun): Antiquities documented on a hilltop included the remains of buildings constructed from fieldstones and dressed stones, burial caves, water cisterns with capstones, an oil press weight and terraces, incorporating architectural elements in secondary use. Pottery fragments from the Iron Age, Hellenistic, Roman, Byzantine and early Islamic periods were scattered in the area.
Map ref. NIG 19923/64552; OIG 14923/14552: A concentration of flint tools and flakes from the Pre Pottery Neolithic A was recorded on surface (c. 50 × 50 m). Small cupmarks (max. diam. 0.15 m) hewn in bedrock surfaces, as well as rock-cuttings, two winepresses and a water cistern were surveyed.
Map ref. NIG 1990/6465; OIG 1490/1465 (Horbat Barfiliya): On the slope of the hill where the ruin is located burial caves and a gray granite sarcophagus (0.7 × 1.8 m) were documented. Other antiquities included water cisterns, several of which had capstones, rock-cuttings, a limekiln, terraces and road segments.