During July 2006, a salvage excavation was conducted in Jerusalem between Shu‘fat and the French Hill neighborhood (Permit No. A-4842; map ref. NIG 2225/6350; OIG 1725/1350), in an area slated for the construction of a car park and a maintenance center for the light railway. The excavation, undertaken on behalf of the Israel Antiquities Authority and underwritten by the Moriya Company, was directed by Y. Billig, with the assistance of R. Abu-Halaf (administration), V. Essman and V. Pirsky (surveying) and B. Touri (archaeological inspection).
A series of large stones, which turned out to be natural and not intentionally placed, was visible in the western part, between concrete foundations of remains of a modern building.
Sections of roads, in which two phases were discerned, were exposed c. 23 m to the east. A section of road (length 23 m), oriented east–west, was attributed to the first phase. The road, leveled with a layer of light color soil, was delimited by curbstones. Next to the western end of the section was another road segment that branched off to the north (length 10 m), whose western row of curbstones was destroyed by the construction of a modern building. Several small worn potsherds from the Late Roman–Early Islamic periods were found in the layers of soil beneath the road sections. Based on the construction and the remains of the road, it seems that it should be dated to the modern era. An alternative road (exposed length c. 10 m, width 1–5 m) was paved in the second phase, south of and parallel to the previous road sections. The paving of this road was done by means of ‘soling’ (compacted stones mixed with tar), which was typical to the time of the British Mandate. A narrow drainage channel (0.3 m) of concrete ran along the curbstones on the shoulder of the road.
The exposed road sections predated, in all likelihood, the road that leads today to the village of Anathoth and they were probably from the first half of the twentieth century CE.